6.12.2012

Thankful for Tuesdays

Here we go, week 2 of my weekly blog. This week I am thankful for the life growing inside of me, or as I prefer to call him, Elijah.
In September of 2011, Rob and I began discussing when we would like to start trying to get pregnant. The timeline changed consistently. You see, I had been juggling my own personal timeline pretty much since we said "I do". It was all left to Rob to get on board.
At first we planned to start trying in September 2012 (which is the month our child is due to be born, isn't that ironic). Then the time to start tying changed to Summer of 2012. Then we decided we would just stop not-trying in December and just see what happened.
I stopped birth control in November 2011.
In December, I got a text from my dad telling me to call my brother as soon as I got a chance. So I did and found out that he and his longtime girlfriend were expecting a baby in the July/August time frame. After receiving that phone call we decided "Hey, what the heck". We started trying at the end of December.
After actively trying for one week we found out early Monday morning (around 2 am), January 16th, that we were in fact going to be having a child in September. And it only took 4 pregnancy tests to convince us!
On February 17th, we got to see our baby for the first time. Hearing his heartbeat was by far the most amazing moment in Rob's and my life. As soon as the sonographer turned on the sound, we both burst into tears. 

On April 5, we found out that this sweet little miracle was going to be a little boy, Elijah Paul. We were able to find out earlier than expected because my sweet boss, who is a family practitioner, allowed us to come to her office and get a free sonogram to find out his gender. 

On May 1st, we got to see our baby boy again. Here he is at 19 wks and 4 days. 

Around the 18 week mark, I began to feel his tiny movements. They were few and far between and when they'd happen they were very light, almost impossible to detect. As the weeks went on, he grew larger and stronger. On Mother's day (21 wks and 2 days), Rob and I were on our 12 hour drive from Alabama to Fort Worth. This was the day that I felt Elijah moving like never before. He wiggled and flipped almost the entire drive home. From that day on, I felt every bump. On May 19, while we watched an episode of How I Met Your Mother, Rob got to feel Elijah kick for the very first time. I was 22 weeks pregnant. 
We have loved watching this sweet boy grow. We've loved watching him move and explore his current home. We have prayed many prayers over this little one and are so excited to watch the Lord work in his life. 
Something we have learned during this entire process is God's hand is in everything. I honestly do not understand how people can walk through the pregnancy journey and still deny that God exists. Down to the very possibility of conception, God is given glory. 
Before we started trying, I read the book What to Expect Before You're Expecting. In one of the chapters, the author explains that every woman has approximately 2-3 days to conceive, and even then, with the hostile environment of the egg, she still might not conceive. How can we take the fact that that tiny little sperm made its way all the way to (and through) the egg and chalk it up to happenstance?
That I will never know. One thing I do know, I asked God to give us a baby Sunday afternoon, January 15th. And at 2 am January 16th, I got three positive pregnancy tests. I realize that I was already 4 weeks pregnant when I took the tests, but it's still pretty amazing that I got my "Ok" the day after I asked. God is good and He seeks only good for His children. 
We are blessed beyond belief. Every day we become more and more anxious and excited to meet our little Mister. All we can do now is take care of our physical bodies and continue to pray that God prepare us to be the kind of parents who show Christ's love in all aspects of our parenting. 

I hope you enjoyed another week of Thankful for Tuesdays. What are you thankful for this week? 

No comments:

Post a Comment